Big Data Technical Lead
Founded in 2016 with only a handful of individuals, Quantexa was built with a purpose that through a greater understanding of context, better decisions can be made. 7 years, and 650+ employees later we still believe that today. We connect the dots within our Customers data using dynamic entity resolution and advanced network analytics to create context, empowering businesses to see the bigger picture and drive real value from their data. Quantexa empowers organisations to drive better decisions from their data. Using the latest advancements in big data and AI, Quantexa uncovers hidden customer connections and behaviours to solve major challenges in financial crime, customer insight and data analytics.
Quantexa has accomplished rapid global expansion and achieved a valuation of $1.8 billion in April 2023 making us the first UK Unicorn business for 2023. Due to our continuous success and high demand from our customers, we are looking for a Big Data Tech Lead with a proven track record to join the Quantexa family. 🚀
Typical responsibilities include:
- Manage, transform, and cleanse high volume data.
- Write defensive, fault tolerant and efficient code for data processing.
- Automate data processing to enable on-going alerts on high-risk activity.
- Present project results to clients both face to face and virtually.
- Work very closely with data scientists to ensure efficient and effective delivery of solutions.
- Use leading open source big-data tools, such as Spark, Hadoop, Scala and Elasticsearch. You should be comfortable with working with high profile clients, on their sites.
- Work with our expert software development team to produce reusable applications.
- Use emerging and open-source technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, and Scala.
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information.
- Take on ad-hoc tasks as required for the running of a small, yet rapidly expanding business.
- Leading a team and mentoring junior engineers.
What do I need to have?
- Proven big data experience, either from an implementation or a data science prospective.
- Excellent technical skills including expert knowledge of at least one big data technology such as Spark, Hadoop, or Elasticsearch.
- Experience of building data processing pipelines for use in production “hands off” batch systems, including either (or preferably both) traditional ETL pipelines and/or analytics pipelines.
- Strong coding experience in the likes of Scala, Java, or Python.
- Good experience with testing libraries of common programming languages and can talk about how they used them – for example scalatest (or equivalent packages for other languages)
- Knows the difference between different test types ( unit test vs integration test for example) – can provide specific examples of one they have written themselves or oversaw when asked
- Can explain unit testing and how they have been automated – can provide specific examples relevant to their own code or project when asked
- Strong client facing, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong academic qualifications, high quality degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent.
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop emerging technologies and techniques.
- Exhibit strong technical communication skills with demonstrable experience of working in rapidly changing client environments.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to debug and solve technical challenges with sometimes unfamiliar technologies.
Ideal candidates will also:
- Have worked on a variety of complex data orientated projects for financial services clients.
- Have a good understanding of Computer Science and preferable come from a software engineering background or other scientific degree incorporating IT modules (e.g. Maths/Physics)
- Have exposure to Agile, especially SCRUM.
- Arrive with experience at working with a variety of modern development tooling (e.g. Git, Gradle, Jenkins, Nexus) as well as technologies supporting automation and DevOps (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Docker and a little bit of good old Bash scripting).
- Have an excellent appreciation of what makes a high quality, operationally stable system and how to streamline all areas of development, release, and operations to achieve this.
- Competitive Salary
- Company Bonus
- 401(k) match up to 5%
- Competitive PTO Allowance + Paid US Federal Holidays + Your Birthday Off!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Short-term and Long-term Disability, Life, and AD&D insurance
- Access to One Medical - primary care practice that offers 24/7 on-demand virtual care
- Access to Teladoc - on-demand healthcare via phone or video
- Access to Health Advocate - the nation’s leading healthcare advocacy and assistance company
- Access to Calm App Subscription - the #1 app for meditation, relaxation, and sleep
- Access to Talk Space - the #1 rated, HIPAA-compliant app for online counseling and therapy services
- Continuous Training and Development, including access to Udemy Business
- Access to WeWork offices & Company-wide socials
Why join Quantexa?
We know that just having an excellent glass door rating isn’t enough, so we’ve put together a competitive package as a way of saying thank you for all your hard work and dedication.
Quantexa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We’re dedicated to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment, where everyone feels welcome, valued, and respected. We want to hear from people who are passionate about their work and align with our values. Regardless of race, beliefs, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, neurodiversity or ableness – whoever you are, if you’re a curious, caring, and an authentic human being who wants to help push the boundaries of what’s possible, we want to hear from you.