Front End Software Engineer
Founded in 2014 in London, United Kingdom, Garrison has raised more than $70m to date from London investors including Dawn Capital, IP Group, NM Capital and BGF. Garrison’s strengths lie in its experienced and dedicated teams, building on years of expertise in cyber security to bring genuinely game changing technology to the industry.
Garrison is working to build the future of cyber security and is already deploying at scale in both the government and commercial space. Our existing customers are large organisations averaging over 50,000 employees each, across sectors including banking, insurance, media, telco, law and government.
Our working culture
We are an exciting start-up with ground-breaking technology; a very serious mission to solve real world problems, but with a positive and highly inclusive atmosphere, and an excellent work/life balance!
At Garrison we celebrate diversity and inclusion, and we are focused on continuously improving equality for the benefit of our employees, products, and community. We recruit, develop, and retain talent purely on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we take every possible step to ensure that every person employed or seeking employment with us receives fair treatment. No-one shall be disadvantaged on the grounds of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, neurodiversity, social background, physical ability, illness or otherwise.
These are the employee benefits that we can offer you at Garrison:
25 days holiday allowance per year (with the opportunity to purchase more)
Company pension scheme of 8% base salary (depending on minimum contribution)
Personal annual training budget
Life assurance and critical illness cover
Employee Assistance Programme
Enhanced parental leave
Cycle to work scheme
Interest-free season ticket loans
Overview of the role
As a Front-end Software Engineer at Garrison, you will be responsible for developing new products and capabilities across the web-based components for both our cloud platform and on-premise solution.
Collaboration with other teams across the Engineering department with focus on back-end services, API definitions, and other elements of our extensive technology stack.
Contribute to the development and evolution of Garrison’s website (www.garrison.com)
2024/25 is shaping up to be our busiest and most productive year yet, with increasing demand, steady growth, and plenty of impactful projects taking place!
Product software development
- Developing front-end functionality for our products to meet the needs of our user community with a focus on delivering a reliable, attractive and a highly usable solution
- Selecting appropriate web development technologies and building reusable code and libraries of components suitable for use across the Garrison product portfolio
- Working with product owners to help design the functionality of our web-based interfaces and take a strong role in ensuring user experience is central to the design
- Contributing to the scoping and design of new software and supporting planning and estimating, including responsibility for estimating individual development tasks
Company website development
Collaborate with the Marketing team to rapidly deliver new content to Garrison’s static company website.
- Develop user interfaces (UI) based designs provided by the designers. Deploy the finalized design across different environments, including development, staging, and preview environments.
- Develop and integrate user-friendly forms within the content management system (CMS) to facilitate efficient content management for the marketing team. These forms should enable the team to easily input and localize textual content, as well as upload various media files onto the website.
- Provide technical support to the marketing team, addressing any issues or requirements they may have. This could involve tasks such as installing tracking pixels accurately into the website or enhancing its search engine optimization (SEO) performance to boost visibility and organic traffic.
Integration, test and sustainment
- Performing the integration and test of front-end components with Garrison REST services and ensuring correct system behaviour through both manual and automated test development.
- Developing a continuous integration capability for the browser-based components of our solution and integrating this with our system-level CI and test systems.
- Identifying and investigating defects in the system, whether found internally or by clients, and developing bug fixes and corresponding enhancements to the product.
- Improving code maintainability and supportability for example through ongoing code refactoring, code peer-review, unit test development and provision of stable APIs.
- Developing automation for common engineering tasks, including testing, environment provisioning and build and release management to improve development efficiency.
Skills and experience
You’ll be perfect for the role if you have the following experience/skills
- Experience of front-end development experience, including:
- CSS Post-processing libraries (SCSS)
- Robust cross-browser and multiple device support
- Creating a complete development and test environment for web applications
- Exposure to developing complex enterprise software / B2B applications
It would be super useful if you’ve covered the following
- Practical experience using TypeScript
- Exposure to user interface / user experience design
- Experience with mock-up and prototyping, utilizing tools like Figma
- Basic knowledge of interactive data visualization libraries
- Backend experience (NodeJS, Python)
And we are delighted to have team members who show the following qualities
- Able to collaborate with team members
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, adaptable, enjoy prospecting challenges and delivering results
- Calm under pressure, able to maintain a diplomatic manner even when being challenged
- Able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing