Finance Manager (Hybrid)
WHO WE ARE.
Element is the start-up which employs the core team behind Matrix - the leading project for secure, open, decentralised communication.
Matrix’s mission is to make messaging as open as email— allowing everyone to choose where their data is hosted, enjoy private conversations thanks to advanced encryption, and ultimately be in control of their own communication.
The Matrix protocol is used by millions of people globally, from the French and German governments through to community groups and open source projects like Modzilla, KDE, GNOME and Wikimedia.
Matrix powers Element, our flagship messaging apps for web, iOS & Android, along with our Enterprise Server Suite, our SaaS platform for business users.
We build things for everyone, and we know we can’t succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to give candidates the best chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
Element is looking for a Finance Manager to join their Finance team. You will be reporting to the CFO. While we are flexible with location, the role is hybrid and requires regular presence in our offices in Chiswick (once a week at least).
Your mission will be to partner with the CFO in developing and speeding up the financial reporting while delivering efficient and scalable services to the business including ad hoc analysis. You will be expected to work closely with internal stakeholders to understand and model the business, as well as providing data and analysis to meet stakeholder needs. You will play a key part in our year end processes and audit. This is an excellent opportunity to get involved and make a mark in the Finance team of a fast growing start-up while benefiting from a great culture and competitive reward.
- Production of accurate and timely group month end management accounts working together with the Finance team
- Having primary responsibility for the monthly reporting narrative. Questioning and understanding the results and digging into the numbers to understand what’s going on in the business, telling the story
- Continuing to improve management of our financial reporting
- Business partnering with key stakeholders including Product, Engineering, Operations, Account Management, Sales and Marketing teams to maintain maintenance of company-wide budgeting, forecasting and planning spreadsheets
- Creating ad-hoc reports to answer questions raised by the Management team
- Maintaining SAAS, ARR metrics and KPI analysis
- Producing year-end statutory accounts and participating in the group and local audit processes
- Reviewing and implementing robust financial controls as required
- Identifying and fixing issues with current systems and processes
- Playing a key role in implementing long-term systems & change projects to improve and automate the finance processes
- Managing the relationship with outsourced accounting and audit partners
- Support future fundraising initiatives
- ACA / ACCA / FCA / FCCA qualified is essential
- Strong financial modeller with ability to work with complex spreadsheets to produce meaningful reports. Exposure to visualisation tools such as Power BI, Tableau or SQL would also be advantageous however non-essential
- Both a leader and a hands-on doer. Able to operate through others as well as executing on work streams directly, balancing macro as well as micro perspectives
- Ability to work in a multi-level Finance team with a balanced approach to both the operational and commercial needs of the business
- A multi asker who can successfully balance the daily tasks with ad hoc and other development projects
- Ability to develop and implement systems, tools and processes that increase clarity and clearly measure results
- Committed team player, with strong collaboration and communication skills
- Clear business partnering capability, at multi-level, and with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of working within a subscriptions-based business would be advantageous however non-essential
- Private Health Insurance
- Plumm Health
- Annual Bonus
- Share Options
- Home Office Allowance
- 40 Days Annual Leave (including local bank holidays)
- Flexible Working Hours
- Company Socials
- Family Friendly Environment
We are an open company
We help our customers succeed
We are ambitious
We are bias to action
We trust and look after each other
We leave the world a better place
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION.
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.