Legal Counsel - EMEA
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Cover Genius is a Series D insurtech that protects the global customers of the world’s largest digital companies including Booking Holdings, owner of Priceline, Kayak and Booking.com, Intuit, Hopper, Skyscanner, Ryanair, Turkish Airlines, Descartes ShipRush, Zip and SeatGeek. We’re also available at Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, Wayfair and SE Asia’s largest company, Shopee. Our partners integrate with XCover, our award-winning insurance distribution platform, to embed protection for millions of customers worldwide each year.
Our team and products have been recognised with dozens of awards including by the Financial Times who ranked Cover Genius as the #1 fastest growing company in APAC in 2020. Our diverse team across 20+ countries and many language groups commits itself to diverse cultural programs, in particular “CG Gives” which makes social entrepreneurs out of us all and funds development initiatives in global communities.
Our People are
Bold, Authentic, Purposeful and Inspired
Our People are not
Perfect, Traditional, Complacent or Cautious
About the role
Cover Genius is looking for an experienced legal counsel to join our Legal Team to support the company’s growing business and provide support as we scale. The Legal Counsel will be a key advisor on legal issues concerning insurance product development. The Legal Counsel will assist in negotiating agreements with critical partners. As a team member of an innovative insurance intermediary involved in transactions across the globe, the Legal Counsel will work cross functionally with the insurance, marketing, compliance, and product teams to apply their expertise and practical advice.
What your working week will involve
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of complex commercial agreements (including distribution agreements, insurance partnership agreements, reinsurance agreements, and non disclosure agreements) that support and enable our global business operations.
- Provide product-related regulatory compliance support, including legal advice with respect to developments across the European Union and United Kingdom that could impact variable products.
- Draft policy forms to meet market demand and support corporate underwriting appetite across multiple jurisdictions.
- Set up insurance regulatory structures for distribution partners, including with respect to Appointed Representatives in the United Kingdom and under the EU’s Insurance Distribution Directive.
- Provide business-oriented advice by balancing risks and business rewards.
- Bachelors or higher degree in related field is required
What the ideal profile looks like
- Fully qualified lawyer in the Netherlands or United Kingdom.
- L.L.M. from a U.S. law school is preferred.
- Fluent in English.
- At least 3-5 years of insurance industry experience.
- Proven establishment of effective relationships with business partners and peers to understand their business drivers and strategic priorities.
- Sound business judgment and adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters and conflicting deadlines.
Why Cover Genius?
Cover Genius not only cares about being the best in our industry, we care about our team. We’re a business that understands life can be fluid and so we flex to ensure we provide the environment to suit that. What does that mean?
• Flexible Work Environment - we are outcome focussed and understand that for our people to perform at their best flexibility is critical. Soon after the declaration of the COVID-19 global pandemic the entire CG team was granted an extra 15 days of Wellness Leave to take throughout 2020.
• Employee Stock Options - we want our people to share in our success, we reward them with ownership for their contribution in creating a world-class company.
• Work with like-minded people who are passionate about both the work we're doing and giving back. Our CG Gives programs enables us to all become philanthropists through our peer recognition and rewards system.
• Social Initiatives - pictures speak a thousand words!
Sound interesting? If you think you have the best composition of the above, send us your resume and let's chat!'
* Cover Genius promotes diversity and inclusivity. We don't tolerate discrimination, demeaning treatment of anyone, or harassment due to race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
See more open positions at Cover Genius
Something looks off?