Software Engineering, IT
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
Cover Genius is a Series D insurtech that protects the global customers of the world’s largest digital companies including Booking Holdings, owner of Priceline, Kayak and Booking.com, Intuit, Uber, Hopper, Ryanair, Turkish Airlines, Descartes ShipRush, Zip and SeatGeek. We’re also available at Amazon, Flipkart, eBay, Wayfair and SE Asia’s largest company, Shopee. Our partners integrate with XCover, our award-winning insurance distribution platform, to embed protection for millions of customers worldwide each year.
Our team and products have been recognized with dozens of awards including by the Financial Times which ranked Cover Genius as the #1 fastest-growing company in APAC in 2020. Our diverse team across 20+ countries and many language groups commit itself to diverse cultural programs, in particular “CG Gives” which makes social entrepreneurs out of us all and funds development initiatives in global communities.
Our People are
Bold, Authentic, Purposeful and Inspired
Our People are not
Perfect, Traditional, Complacent or Cautious
About the role
The primary responsibility of the Database Administrator is to ensure the reliable operation of all data persistence technologies which power Cover Genius platforms. As a specialist DBA's primarily works alongside the Site Reliability team as well as providing expertise to application and data teams on database architecture and performance optimization. DBREs work to improve the following aspects of Cover Genius databases and data stores: Security, Reliability, Availability, Performance & Automation.
DBREs will also help design solutions for large-scale engineering challenges such as how to support multi-regional scaling and data sovereignty requirements. Along with SREs, DBREs are responsible for writing and maintaining datastore-related technical documentation such as tutorials, guides, and blameless post-mortems.
What your working week will involve
- Assist application teams to select and optimize datastore architectures and technologies
- Assist application teams to optimize queries, migrations and perform other datastore performance tuningImplement automation and reduce toil for datastore management
- Deployment, upgrade and maintenance of datastores
- Troubleshoot database related production incidents (On Call)
- Develop, test and maintain disaster recovery procedures for datastores
- Implement monitoring and alerting using key database metrics
- Develop and maintain design and troubleshooting documentation and runbooks
- Optimize and control costs of the company’s storage infrastructure
- Bachelors or higher degree in related field is required
What the ideal profile looks like
- Understanding of SRE Principles and best practices
- At least 5 years experience running major database technologies in production, especially PostgreSQL and MySQL. Experienced running these technologies in cloud environments ideally AWS RDS.
- Experience operating other NoSQL datastores and cache technologies especially Elasticsearch, Redis, S3, Bigquery and RabbitMQ.
- Excellent understanding of SQL and SQL database performance optimization.
- Comfortable scripting & developing internal tooling with Bash or at least one programming language (e.g. python, go)
- Familiar with internals of PostgreSQL
- Experience working with infrastructure & configuration as code tools especially Terraform
- Experience working with Linux
- Solid theoretical understanding of underlying datastorage technologies and tradeoffs
- Good knowledge of AWS and/or GCP platforms and associated best practices
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
Why Cover Genius?
Cover Genius not only cares about being the best in our industry, we care about our team. We’re a business that understands life can be fluid and so we flex to ensure we provide the environment to suit that. What does that mean?
• Flexible PTO. Taking time out is important for our teams to enjoy life and stay fresh.
• Employee Stock Options - we want our people to share in our success, we reward them with ownership for their contribution in creating a world-class company.
• Work with like-minded people who are passionate about both the work we're doing and giving back. Our CG Gives programs enables us to all become philanthropists through our peer recognition and rewards system.
• Social Initiatives - pictures speak a thousand words!
Sound interesting? If you think you have the best composition of the above, send us your resume and let's chat!
* Cover Genius promotes diversity and inclusivity. We don't tolerate discrimination, demeaning treatment of anyone, or harassment due to race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.