Engineering Manager (Risk) (w/m/d)
We are Billie, the leading provider of Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) payment methods for businesses, offering B2B companies innovative digital payment services and modern checkout solutions. We are to create a new standard for business payments and have made it our mission to simplify the purchasing experience for all businesses making it a tool for growth. Our solutions are based on proprietary, machine-learning-supported risk models, fully digitized processes and a highly scalable tech platform. This makes us a deep-tech company building financial products, not the other way around. We love building simple and elegant solutions and we strive for automation and scalability.
About the role
We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Risk management domain team at Billie. As Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the management of a cross-functional Engineering Team focused on credit risk, fraud risk, and limit management to ensure a safe and secure Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) environment. You will lead, coach, mentor, and provide direction to your team, fostering engagement, efficiency and happiness. They will rely on you for personal and professional development, performance management, and day-to-day guidance. Additionally, you will influence the team’s way of working through hands-on involvement with development and delivery planning, as well as building and improving the development environment and process.
In this role, you will
- Owning the entire engineering process and ensuring extreme programming (XP) practices for your team and for Billie
- Challenging and enabling the team on technological and architectural decisions.
- Ensuring on-time delivery of the backlog with an end-to-end view of the roadmap, including fostering ownership of domains.
- Growing our engineers in their technical and soft skills. Ensuring your teams stay happy, healthy, and productive
- Coaching & challenging the engineers on their journey to the next level while cultivating a culture of ownership, customer centricity, mastery, and purpose
- Working together with the Product team to build an understanding of the priority of requirements, participate in technical discussions and help shape the roadmap
Who we are looking for:
- At least 2 years of experience with a strong focus on building and leading autonomous teams of software engineers with outcome oriented approach
- Experience in FinTech, Payment Platforms, PSPs, or other compatible industries will be highly valued.
- Strong hands-on experience with Kotlin or Java and Spring, and migrating from other stacks to Spring + Kotlin. Python experience is also nice to have.
- A true conviction towards Agile engineering practices such as TDD, BDD, and CI/CD. In-depth knowledge of Domain Driven Design
- Entrepreneurial thinking and ability to lead projects and groups, including managing complex projects with various stakeholders
- Confidence in acting as the single point-of-contact for ‘owned’ areas - working with cross-functional partners across the company
- Excellent communication skills and ability to achieve great results collaboratively across domains
What we offer:
- Flexible work hours and trust in your ability to deliver, empowering you to take control of your work-life balance
- Hybrid working approach enabling a good balance working from home and the office
- One of the best Virtual Shares Incentive Programs in the market, so that everyone at Billie is invested in our success
- Our “Catch a Ride with Billie” program, that enables discounted access to Berlin Public Transport (BVG)
- A yearly development budget to broaden your skill set and horizons
- Free German group classes
- An English-speaking, multicultural team with more than 46 nationalities
- Great office space at Checkpoint Charlie with free gym access, barista coffee, drinks and more
Billie offers you the opportunity to be a part of one of the fastest-growing Fintech startups in Europe following the mission to innovate to create new freedom for businesses of all sizes. Our combined decades of experience in B2B Financing and Payments in a market thirsty for innovation and change make this a fantastic possibility to get into the most dynamic space in tech.
Join an international team of talented, passionate people where drive and merit matter. We work in nimble, cross-functional teams with open communication lines across the company. You’ll be surrounded by smart people from a wide variety of backgrounds from which you can learn and that want to learn from you.
Are you ready to join Billie?
Billie is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment in our workplace. By embracing talents and abilities of all kinds, we aim to boost motivation and team creativity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, marital status, gender, political views, beliefs, sexual orientation, color, disability status, or any other demographic factors.