Strategic Business Development Lead
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or working with colleagues in an online collaborative environment - consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. At Ably we’re not just witnessing this revolution - we’re powering it.
At the heart of our mission lies a commitment to putting developers first. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime, delivering billions of messages for millions of devices every day and supporting organizations like Split, Hubspot, Toyota and Genius Sports.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. And we’d like your help.
About this role
As the Strategic Business Development Lead, you’ll spearhead Ably’s global growth and play a pivotal role in shaping our market trajectory. You’ll be part of a close-knit team that plays a key role in influencing Ably’s go-to-market strategy by identifying new potential strategic customers and developing the approach to successfully engage, develop and close these target accounts.
You’ll develop an in-depth understanding of Ably’s commercial framework, leveraging this knowledge to build on our existing successes and forge innovative new account strategies for the next level of scale. You will be equally comfortable working on top level strategy formulation and strategic execution, as well as learning and presenting the product. Your influence will transcend borders, market segments and channels - and take a global lens to be part of unlocking the next level of growth ambition for Ably.
Day to day you will
- Proactively identify new client opportunities. You’ll take the lead in independently uncovering and nurturing new client prospects, with a primary focus on North America, while also exploring global opportunities.
- Develop opportunities through the complete sales cycle. Own the entire lifecycle of opportunity development, from initial identification through to successful closure, showcasing your end-to-end expertise.
- Showcase the return on investment Ably offers. You’ll demonstrate the compelling ROI of a new Ably contract to prospective clients, seamlessly integrating it into the sales process.
- Navigate new product launches. You’ll continuously gauge the impact of new product launches on Ably's existing customers and prospects, ensuring seamless integration and maximum value.
- Systematically influence product improvements. You’ll strategically guide the business in addressing product gaps and seizing opportunities, contributing to a refined and robust product offering.
- Maximize strategic partnerships. You’ll be at the forefront of Ably’s collaboration with AWS, actively working to stay up to speed on this strategic alliance and ensuring we maximize the impact of the relationship.
- Craft compelling narratives. You’ll craft engaging narratives and presentations, adeptly communicating the tangible value that Ably brings to prospective clients.
We’d love to hear from you if you have
- Excellent commercial mindset and have experience negotiating commercial contracts for large initial deal sizes.
- Highly independent, have a strong sense of self-direction and are a strong executor.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in connecting with stakeholders at all levels of an organization, including C-suite
- Excellent analytical skills - you are structured in solving problems and ground all decisions on solid evidence.
It would be nice, but not essential if you have
- Experience in an early stage VC-backed startup where things can move quickly.
- Experience with developer-first products.
- Familiarity with technology vendors that provide infrastructure and API services.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
We’re tackling planet-scale problems and our ambitions are a testament to that. You’ll join a successful, deeply motivated and collaborative team that thrives on innovation, experimentation and autonomy.
Our aspiration is to foster a company culture that's built on inclusivity and mutual respect among all team members. We recognise that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Ably is a remote-first company and, amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and substantial opportunities for learning and development, and access to a wealth of resources dedicated to your wellbeing. We’re proud to go the extra mile to support the welfare and prospects of Ablyans and their long-term goals.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.