Senior Finance & Planning Analyst
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. At Ably we’re not just witnessing this revolution - we’re powering it.
At the heart of our mission lies a commitment to putting developers first. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime, delivering billions of messages for millions of devices every day and supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg and Hubspot.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. And we’d like your help.
About this role
As a Senior Finance & Planning Analyst, you’ll play a vital role in shaping Ably’s financial strategy, collaborating with teams across the business to provide insights and recommendations that drive business growth and profitability. Your analytical insights and financial acumen will be critical in supporting decision-making processes and ensuring the company’s continued financial health and success.
Day to day you will
- Drive financial insights. You’ll conduct comprehensive financial analysis to support strategic decision-making, including evaluating business performance, profitability, and investment opportunities.
- Craft financial models. You’ll develop and maintain financial models in Abacum to support budgeting, forecasting, and long-term financial planning. Your expertise will be instrumental in analysing and interpreting financial data, translating it into actionable insights.
- Shape budgeting and projections. You’ll collaborate with relevant stakeholders to prepare annual budgets and ongoing forecasts, monitor actual performance against budgets and forecasts and identify and communicate key variances to the leadership team.
- Manage key reports. You’ll be responsible for tracking and reporting on key performance indicators related to financial and operational performance. Additionally, you will support monthly management accounts where necessary, including the creation of insightful dashboards to provide enhanced visibility to both management and investors.
- Lead process improvements. As a centre of expertise for Ably’s BI tools, you’ll identify areas for improvement across the function. Your role will involve supporting colleagues, introducing best practices and streamline workflows to optimise efficiency.
- Strengthen investor relations. You’ll assist in preparing financial presentations and materials for investor meetings and fundraising activities and respond to investor inquiries related to financial performance and projections.
- Oversee commission management. You’ll manage the commission process, from developing plans that align to company wide goals, through to measurement and reporting.
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- Proven experience in financial planning and analysis, preferably in the SaaS industry or technology sector.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or a related field.
- Qualified in either CIMA, ACCA or ACA.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, with the ability to interpret complex financial data and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Proficiency in financial modelling, forecasting, and budgeting techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets and financial software/tools.
- Solid understanding of key financial statements, including income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex financial concepts to both financial and non-financial stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities.
It would be nice, but not essential if you have
- Knowledge of SaaS metrics, such as MRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue), CAC (Customer Acquisition Cost), and churn rate.
- Knowledge of financial planning software such as Abacum.
- Knowledge of SQL.
- Familiarity with venture capital and fundraising processes.
- Experience in an early stage VC-backed startup where things can move quickly.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
We’re tackling planet-scale problems and our ambitions are a testament to that. You’ll join a successful, deeply motivated and collaborative team that thrives on innovation, experimentation and autonomy.
Our aspiration is to foster a company culture that's built on inclusivity and mutual respect among all team members. We recognise that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Ably is a remote-first company and, amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and substantial opportunities for learning and development, and access to a wealth of resources dedicated to your wellbeing. We’re proud to go the extra mile to support the welfare and prospects of Ablyans and their long-term goals.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.